Parks

 

St. Louis Zoo in Forest Park

St. Louis Zoo, the second largest zoo in the United States, is home to more than 3,000 animals. The Saint Louis Zoo has educated, entertained, and earned a place in the hearts of St. Louisans for generations. With the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904, there began a long and slow process to establish a zoological park. St. Louis Zoological Society was formed in 1910. The City of St. Louis then set aside 77 acres in Forest Park for a zoo and named a Zoological Board of Control in 1913. State legislation provided that “the zoo shall be forever free,” which has kept the Zoo accessible to millions of visitors ever since.

The zoo features Jungle of the Apes and Big Cat Country. Additional attractions include the Emerson Electric Children’s Zoo, The Living World educational center, “Penguin & Puffin Coast,” Monsanto Insectarium, Mary Ann Lee Conservation Carousel, sea lion shows and bird house. Be sure to also check out:

River’s Edge: Take a walk in the wild through this thrilling exhibit where elephants are at play, cheetahs dart across a dry plain and hyenas watch warily by.

The Wild: From the sub-Antarctic to tropical rain forests, see penguins, bears and great apes.

Discovery Corner: Pet friendly bunnies and goats. Follow a butterfly’s wandering flight. See awesome amphibians.

Historic Hill: A lovely stroll through this area, with architecture of the 1920s, you’ll see primates, birds and reptiles in modern habitats.

Red Rocks: See lions, tigers and other big cats keep watch on nearby zebras, giraffes and antelope in natural settings.

Lakeside Crossing: From refreshments to souvenirs, you’ll find everything you need to make your Zoo experience complete.

Hours: The Zoo is open year round, except December 25 and January 1, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. General admission to the Zoo is free.

 

Forest Park – St. Louis, MO

Forest Park is one of St. Louis’ most treasured resources that is located in the heart of the city.  Forest Park, officially opened to the public on June 24, 1876, and is one of the largest urban parks in the United States. At 1,293 acres, it is approximately 500 acres larger than Central Park in New York. In 1904, The St. Louis World’s Fair drew more than 20 million visitors from around the world to Forest Park.

Today, Forest Park attracts more than 12 million visitors a year. Monuments, historic buildings, wildlife, waterways and landscapes combine to form a unique cultural institution that is vitally important to the entire St. Louis region. The park is recognized as an important gathering place where people of all ages, races and economic backgrounds can gather and mix in a positive way.

Forest Park is the home to the region’s major cultural institutions—the Zoo, Art Museum, History Museum, Science Center and the Muny Opera. It also serves as a sports center for golf, tennis, baseball, bicycling, boating, fishing, handball, ice skating, rollerblading, jogging, rugby and more.Forest Park is equally significant from a naturalistic perspective. In a city where 80% of the land has been developed for business, industry or residential uses, the park serves as a natural oasis for the city, an important source of green space, a respite for migrating birds, and an integrated ecosystem where humans and nature interact.

 

Queeny Park – 550 Weidman Road & 1675 South Mason Road, St. Louis, MO  63131

Queeny Park  is home to the Greensfelder Recreation Complex, featuring indoor season ice rink, arena rentals, indoor roller hockey rink, meeting rooms, and a modern playground.  This space is also available to rent for special events March through September.

The Barn Courtyard Garden site is a beautiful setting for an oudoor wedding.  Additional amenities include hayrides, playground, hiking trails, tennis courts, fishing, picnic sites, and the Museum of the Dog.

 

Shaw Park – 27 S. Brentwood Blvd., Clayton, MO  63105

Shaw Park is located along Brentwood Blvd., just north of Forest Park Parkway, near the heart of Clayton’s bustling business district.  Shaw Park is the city’s oldest and largest park. Mayor Charles A. Shaw first established this 47.47 acre park in 1935.  With a welcoming canopy of majestic trees and open grass areas, as well as lovely gardens, Shaw Park offers a respite from the bustle of the city.   Shaw Park’s most recent addition is a state of the art inclusive playground. The new Tree Top Playground was opened to the public in October 2010 and has a sprayground, an authentic tree house play structure, a roller slide, swings and many other accessible amenities.

Shaw Park is home to an outdoor Aquatic Center, which includes a 50-meter competition pool, as well as a diving pool, and a splash and play pool for young children.  It also has one of the few remaining outdoor Ice-Skating Rinks in the area.  Other amenities include 10 Tennis Courts, ball fields, playgrounds, and Sand Volleyball Courts.  Picnic facilities include Shaw Park Pavilion, a covered picnic site which can accommodate up to 180 guests, 2 picnic shelters, the North Shelter and the South Shelter, with rest room facilities and 16 paved picnic areas with tables, including 5 large pads with BBQs that can be reserved.  Numerous benches provide places to stop and savor nature.

 

Faust Park – 15185 Olive Boulevard, Chesterfield, MO  63017

Welcome to Faust Park, one of St. Louis County’s most unique parks. Several separate foundations and organizations work together to create and maintain that uniqueness. The park was created in 1968 through the generosity of Leicester & Mary Plant Faust who donated the property, nearly 200 acres in the heart of Chesterfield. It was their intention to forever preserve the original estate of Missouri’s second governor, Frederick Bates.  The park features the St. Louis Carousel, which includes a gift shop of unique carousel related gift items.

Other amenities include the Thornhill Historic Site, Historic Vilage, playgrounds and picnic sites throughout the park.

 

Quail Ridge Park – 5501 Quail Ridge Parkway, Wentzville, MO  63385

Quail Ridge Park is 250 acres of rolling pastures, wooded hillsides, and rich bottomland near Peruque Creek.  This diverse terrain provides a wonderful backdrop to enjoy the great outdoors.  Winding trails throughout the park provide visitors with a first-hand opportunity to view songbirds, deer, turkey, and other wildlife in their natural environments. Quail Ridge has between 4 and 4.5 miles of trail.

An indoor Lodge that may be rented for weddings, parties, and other large-group activities; large-group and individual picnic shelters; playgrounds; walking/bicycle trails; a three-acre lake; and 18-hole disc golf course; a small fishing pond; and an Off-Leash Dog Area.  The park also serves as home to the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association Hall of Fame Museum,  featuring several courts open for public use.

 

Creve Coeur Park – 2143 Creve Coeur Mill Road, St. Louis, MO  63146

Creve Coeur Park featurres a 320-acre lake, stocked by the Missouri Department of Conservation.  Non-gasoline boats only are permitted on the lake.  There is a sand beach, and a “Dripping Springs” waterfall.  There are 12 picnic sites, complete with barbeque pits and picnic tables.  The park also has a paved walking and cycling trail, playground equipment, athletic fields, archery, tennis courts, disc golf, and the Lakehouse Restaurant.

 

Lone Elk Park – 1 Lone Elk Park Rd., St. Louis, MO  63088

Lone Elk Park is a wildlife management area, with bison, wild turkey, waterfowl, elk and deer. Motorcycles are prohibited. Domestic animals are not allowed, even if confined in a vehicle.  There are trails, fishing locations, tennis courts, outdoor play areas and athletic fields.

 

August A. Busch Memorial Conservation – 2360 Hwy. D., St. Charles, MO  63304

The August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area was purchased by the Missouri Department of Conservation in 1947 from the federal government. Mrs. August A. Busch, Sr. donated a portion ($70,000) of the cost toward the purchase of the area as a memorial to her late husband.  In the early 1940′s, the area was used by the Department of Army as a TNT munitions plant to support the World War II effort. There are still 100 of the old TNT storage bunkers that exist on the area.
The Department encourages recreational use of the area by the public, while furnishing fish and wildlife with the resources necessary to be healthy and abundant. We encourage you to walk the hiking trails, drive the auto tour, photograph the wildlife or simply sit under a tree and enjoy the sights and sounds of the outdoors.
Hunting for a variety of wildlife species is allowed on the area. Special regulations exist for most of the hunting activities, please check the Area Regulations section or with the office for current regulations.

This 6,987-acre area contains 3,000 acres of forest in addition to grassland, cropland, old fields, prairie, and wetlands. Facilities/features: boat rentals, picnic areas, pavilion, hiking trails, 43 fishing jetties, fishing docks, staffed firearms range, archery range, five viewing blinds, and a visitor center. The area also has 32 fishable lakes and ponds totaling 550 acres.

 

Blanchette Park – 1900 West Randolph Street, St. Charles, MO

Blanchette Park was the first City Park in St. Charles.  This 44 acre park features an Aquatic Center Facility, Memorial Hall Banquet Facility, 4 ball diamonds, concession stand, football field, horseshoe and tennis courts, picnic shelters, large playground area, paved hiking and biking trail park.

 

Jefferson Barracks – 345 North Road, St. Louis, MO  63125

Jefferson Barracks County Park is a 1,702-acre park located on a scenic bluff overlooking the Mississippi River on the site of what once was a major U.S. Army installation. Jefferson Barracks played a significant role in U. S. history for 120 years. Established in 1826, it was the country’s first “Infantry School of Practice” and served as the primary training and gathering place for the Army of the West. Jefferson Barracks replaced Fort Belle Fontaine, the first U.S. Army installation west of the Mississippi River, which suffered from repeated flooding because of its location on the Missouri River. Jefferson Barracks was named in honor of President Thomas Jefferson, who had died on the Fourth of July of the year the post was established.

Jefferson Barracks played an important role in westward expansion serving as a gathering point for troops that established and garrisoned frontier posts, and provided protection for settlers and travelers heading west. During the Civil War Jefferson Barracks served as a major medical facility and a primary ordnance depot for the Union Army. The post has served as a gathering point for troops and supplies bound for service for all major conflicts from the Mexican-American through World War II. Jefferson Barracks also served as the first Army Air Corps basic training site.

There are several buildings of historic note on the grounds of Jefferson Barracks County Park including. The Laborers House, built in 1851 and originally used by civilian workmen as the Ordnance Depot, has been restored from original plans in the National Archives. The Powder Magazine Museum (photo left) is in an 1857 massive stone building that was once used for the storage of rifles, cannons, gunpowder and ammunition. The Stable was built in 1851 and housed four horses and two spring wagons used to haul munitions produced at the St. Louis Arsenal to the ordnance magazines in Jefferson Barracks. The Old Ordnance Room was built in 1851 as the first of the powder magazines at the Barracks. It is now used for special exhibitions relating to the military history of the park. The Visitors Center was built in 1878 as a stable for four wagons and seven animals. The Battle of the Bulge Memorial Monument, dedicated in 1997, overlooks the Mississippi River and commemorates those died defeating the Germans in the Ardennes Campaign in 1944.

As a county park the site has many recreational activities including a field archery range, athletic fields, a 2.7-mile paved trail, a nine-hole Frisbee golf course, and the St. Louis County Veterans Memorial Amphitheater.

 

Bee Tree Park – 2701 Finestown Road, St. Louis, MO  63129

This beautiful 199-acre park features beautiful wedding sites, a playground, trails, and fishing  There are also athletic fields and outdoor play area locations.

 

Rotary Park – 2577 W. Meyer Road, Foristell, MO  63348

Rotary Park illustrates a scenic 72 acre park.  A variety of recreational opportunities are available along with relaxation while fishing the 5 acre lake.
Additional amenities include amphitheater, Cattlemen’s Association Pavilion, Community Club Pavilion, Kolb Exhibit Hall, Lions Club Pavilion, playground, and a 1.3 mile pedestrian trail.

 

Stacy Park – 9750 Old Bonhomme

This 35-acre park is equipped with a 1-kilometer fitness path, playgrounds, ball fields, pavilion, restrooms and barbeque pits.
Stacy Park is host to Olivette’s Fall celebration, Olivette On the Go, and Parties in the Park.