Homes For Sale in St. Louis County, MO
St. Louis County is a county located in the U.S. state of Missouri. Its county seat is Clayton. St. Louis County is part of the St. Louis Metro Area where is in the independent City of St. Louis and its suburbs in St. Louis County, as well as the surrounding counties in both Missouri and Illinois all together account for a total population of over 2.8 million people. St. Louis County borders the City of St. Louis, which is independent from St. Louis County. Census 2010 put the county population at 998,954—which is more than 3 times the size of its adjoining namesake city.
The county was organized in 1812 and was originally a French colonial district (French Louisiana), named for the French King Louis IX, known as Saint Louis. Its original county seat was in various buildings including the Old Courthouse in downtown St. Louis by the Gateway Arch.
In 1877, the City of St. Louis separated itself from the county, creating an independent city. The city in August 1876 narrowly approved the separation while county residents overwhelmingly opposed the separation. City residents had argued they wanted to be “rid of county taxes and state influence over county government.” At the time the city had 350,000 residents while the rural county had 30,000. The rural county also had only 150 miles of gravel roads. The election was challenged in the courts and they were formally separated in March 1877.
The county’s former courthouse in St. Louis city became city property. The new, and then much smaller, county government met at the Mount Olive Hotel, near today’s Hanley Road and Olive Boulevard in what today is University City, Missouri until deciding on a new location for the courthouse. The county considered locations for a new courthouse in Kirkwood, Missouri (which claims to be the first planned suburb in St. Louis County and first suburb built west of the Mississippi River) and Florissant, Missouri (then in an area known as St. Ferdinand township). A farmer named Ralph Clayton (who was 90 at the time) donated 100 acres in what would become Clayton, Missouri for the site that was ultimately chosen in part because it was on the route of the Hodiamont narrow gauge street cars which stretched from Pine Lawn through Normandy and Kinloch to Florissant. Clayton said the site “a half day’s ride from the city” and more accessible than other villages in the county. The first $38,000 courthouse in the newly defined county opened December 1878 west of Hanley Road and north of Clayton Road. A new courthouse was built in 1945 (it is today’s County Police headquarters). The original 1878 courthouse was torn down in 1971 to be replaced by county government plaza and modern six-story courthouse.
The county became larger than the city in the 1970 U.S. Census when it had 951,353 compared to the city’s 750,026. With the city dropping to its lowest population since the 19th century in the 2010 U.S. Census and the county also dropping in population for the first time in its history there has been talk of the two entities reuniting.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 524 square miles (1,360 km2), of which, 508 square miles (1,320 km2) of it is land and 16 square miles (41 km2) of it (3.03%) is water. St. Louis County is part of the Greater St. Louis metropolitan area. I-55 goes through St. Louis County from mile 192.7 to mile 201.6
If you’re interested in homes for sale in St. Louis County, give Kelly Hager a call today!